Elk 9200 Heavy Duty Relay Installation Guide
PO Box 100 • Hildebran, NC 28637 • 800-797-9355 • 828-397-4200
Fax 828-397 4415 • www.elkproducts.com • email@example.com
Features or Specifications subject to change without notice.
The ELK-9200 is a Heavy Duty Relay/Contactor
inside a lockable metal enclosure. It is designed
for remotely controlling high current devices such
as electric water heaters, pumps, motors, gates,
etc. The energizing coil of the 9200 is 110 VAC,
however its relay contacts are capable of
switching 220 VAC at up to 60 Amps of current.
The relay coil is prewired with a three (3) prong
plug-in cord. This plug is compatible with virtually
any appliance style automation module
(purchased separately) including: UPB, Insteon,
ZWave, Zigbee, X10, etc. A simple remote
command can be sent to activate the lower current
automation module, which in turn then activates
the higher current contacts of the 9200 relay. This
permits the safe and easy On/Off switching of up to
60 Amps of electrical current.
• Heavy Duty "UL Recognized" Relay
• Operating Coil Voltage: 110 VAC
• Coil Current Draw: < 35 mA
• Contacts Rated for: 60 Amps AC maximum
• Metal Enclosure Size: 12" x 12" x 3.375" * Not suitable for wet locations.
• Color: White
• Pre-Wired Terminal Lugs for easy Installation.
• 110 VAC Plug Cord for Energizing the Relay Coil
• Heavy Duty "Lockable" Metal Enclosure
• 60 Amp Long Life Double Pole Relay Contacts.
• Relay Suitable for a 110 VAC or 220 VAC Load
• Ideal for Water Heaters, Motors, Pumps, etc.
Heavy Duty Relay/Contactor ELK-9200
Note: GFCI Ground Fault
protected outlets are NOT
recommended as they may
interfere with communications
with the automation module.
ELK9200 is not
use in wet
L1 L2 N
Line Gnd Neutral
(or other load)
e.g. UPB, ZWave,
Insteon, X10, etc.
Installing the ELK-9200 near the Load
1. Turn Off the appropriate electrical circuit at the Electrical Breaker Panel before attempting to install the ELK-9200.
2. Mount the 9200 near the Load/Device that is to be controlled. Note: In addition to the Line circuit coming from the
Breaker Box to the Load/Device, it will also be necessary to have a nearby 110 VAC for plugging in the appliance
style automation module (purchased separately). Virtually any automation appliance module (i.e. UPB, Insteon,
ZWave, X10, etc.) can be used with the Elk-9200, as long as it supplies the third (3rd) ground prong.
3. Carefully disconnect the Line circuit cable where is goes into the Device being controlled; Water Heater, pump,
etc. Re-route this cable into the bottom of the 9200 enclosure using an approved electrical wire clamp (not
4. Connect the two (2) hot wires coming from the Line circuit cable to the terminals marked "LINE" and the neutral
wire to the terminal marked "Neutral".
5. Run a new section of similarly rated cable from the Device into the top of the 9200 enclosure using an approved
electrical wire clamp (not supplied). Connect the two (2) hot wires to the terminals marked "LOAD" and the
neutral wire to the terminal marked "Neutral". Reconnect the wires inside the device.
REFER TO THE WIRING DIAGRAM BELOW.
6. Connect the three (3) prong cord to the automation appliance module and plug it into the local 110 VAC outlet.
7. Turn On the electrical circuit and test the 9200 operation by transmitting remote commands to the automation
appliance module. The relay/contactor will be noticeable loud when switching On and Off.