The DSC PG9HRDW8 is a wired to wireless converter module in a large tamper-resistant enclosure. It allows the user to take advantage of existing wired sensors, while upgrading the main control panel to a new wireless system with a host of modern features. Each module can convert up to eight (8) wired zones.
The Tyco|DSC PG9HRDW8 comes with a PG9WLSHW8 module. This module allows the user to convert up to eight (8) existing hardwired zones to wireless. It does this by monitoring the state of each zone and transmitting any changes in state to the alarm panel. It transmits using the PowerG 915 MHz frequency which uses 128-bit AES Encryption, and has a range of up to 4,000 feet (1219 m) when used with the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Plus, IQ Hub, or Qolsys IQ Panel 4.
In addition to converting wired zones to PowerG wireless outputs, the PG9HRDW8 supports up to 18 conventional 2-wire smoke detectors or any number* of 4-wire smoke detectors, and wired Carbon Monoxide detectors. It offers a siren output that is controlled by the Qolsys alarm panel and can support up to four (4) programmable PGM outputs. It offers both a front and a back tamper for the included large enclosure and has two (2) independent auxiliary power outputs (500 mA total). The backup battery (not included) can fit inside the tamper-resistant enclosure. Input power uses a DC Power Adapter that puts out 18VDC, and offers power supply supervision.
Each wired zone input offers the option for Normally Open, Normally Closed, Single End of Line, or Double End of Line Resistor configuration. Each zone has a 250ms loop response. Knowing the loop response can be important as it will determine whether some types of wired zones are supported. For example, some inertia-style shock sensors would require a much faster loop response than the one offered by the PG9WLSHW8, so if you have a zone using that type of sensor, it would be better to replace it with a wireless equivalent. A 10ms loop response requirement is not uncommon when using some inertia-style shock sensors.
As mentioned above, the PG9WLSHW8 module can support up to 18 compatible 2-wire smoke detectors. Single EOL Resistor value is 2200 Ohms. Per the Installation Guide, the following DSC 2-wire smoke detectors are compatible:
|X in the detector name represents an A for ULC and a B for UL listed models. The current rating for the DSC FSA-210B series is 35mA. The UL compatibility ID for the FSA-210B series is FS200. For ULC listed installations, use FSA-210A series detectors or FSA-410A series detectors.
You can use either 2-wire or 4-wire smokes on the converter module, but not both. AUX 1 output is meant to power burglary devices, and AUX2 is meant to power fire devices. Burglary and Fire device power should always remain separated in order to meet UL/ULC requirements.
The bell output on the expander can provide up to 700 mA of current for a wired siren. Burglary alarms provide a steady output, Fire alarms provide a Temporal 3 output, and Carbon Monoxide alarms provide a Temporal 4 output. A 1,000 Ohm resistor is required across the Bell + and Bell - terminals, otherwise, the system will indicate a trouble condition. A 12 V / 7Ah battery is recommended, but not included. We recommend the UltraTech 1272F1.
In addition to the eight (8) hardwired to wireless zones provided by the included PG9WLSHW8, the CORBUS inputs on that module allow for up to four (4) hardwired keypads, or up to four (4) HSM2108 8-zone expansion modules. The enclosure of the PG9HRDW8 has space for all of these expansion modules, which means that each PG9HRDW8 can actually house up to 40 wired zones. Even though each Qolsys panel can currently only support up to two (2) PG9WLSHW8 wired to wireless converters, the addition of CORBUS expanders means that up to 80 zones can be added using just these two (2) modules.
The following keypads and expansion modules are supported using the CORBUS input on the PG9WLSHW8:
||IQ2 Plus Panel v2.5.3
||IQ2 Plus Panel v2.6.0
||IQ2 Plus Panel v2.7.0/IQ4 v4.1
- DC Input voltage and current: Input for UL and ULC applications: 120VAC, 60Hz, 1.2A; Output 18VDC, 2.22 A
- Battery Type: Sealed Lead Acid, rechargeable
- Battery Charging Voltage and Current: 13.7VDC, 360 mA
- Low Battery Threshold: 11.4 VDC
- Battery Cutoff Level: 9.6 VDC ± 2%
- PCB Assembly Current Draw: 70 mA
- Standby Battery: Only use the battery rated 12 VDC/7 Ah. The energy level of the battery when it is charged to 100% is 24-hour standby time and 5-minute alarm time for UL and ULC residential fire applications and ULC Security Level II applications. See Install Guide page 7 for full specifications and Agency Listing notes.
- Bell Circuit Voltage and Current: 11.3 VDC to 12.5 VDC maximum current 700 mA continuous. For EN50131 Grade 2 applications, the voltage rating is 9.6 VDC to 13.75 VDC.
- Auxiliary Power Voltage and Current: 11.3 VDC to 12.5 VDC, maximum current 700 mA shared between the AUX1, AUX2, CORBUS Red and Black, and PGM outputs. Ripple: 50mVpp.
- Operating Temperature: 14℉ - 131℉ (-10℃ - 55℃)
- Operating Humidity: 5% to 93% RH non-condensing
- Dimensions: 11.9" x 15.6" x 3.6" (304mm x 396mm x 92mm)
- Weight: 6.28 pounds (2.85 kg) including battery
*The number of 4-wire smoke detectors or CO detectors supported is limited only by available current and any resistance limitations caused by the wiring and number of devices.