How Do I Add a MyQ Garage Door to My Alarm.com Account?
You can add a MyQ Garage Door to your Alarm.com account by having your monitoring company enable the LiftMaster Garage Door feature on your account. Then use the Alarm.com website to pair the module with your account. You will need the MyQ Serial Number for the garage door controller.
The MyQ Garage Door integration for Alarm.com offers some nice benefits. You will be able to access the Alarm.com platform from your phone or a web browser to open or close your garage door. The Alarm.com integration will also allow you to include your garage door with smart scenes so that it opens or closes automatically when predetermined events occur. You will also be able to set a time-based schedule for the garage door for automatic control.
There are some important things to keep in mind when using a MyQ Garage Door Controller with Alarm.com. First, you should understand that the integration occurs through the MyQ App and the MyQ Servers. The MyQ Garage Door Controller module itself will not speak directly with Alarm.com. Instead, the MyQ Garage Door is speaking with the MyQ Servers, and the MyQ Servers then forward any incoming information to Alarm.com. A command to open or close the garage door will be sent from Alarm.com to the MyQ Servers, and then on to the MyQ garage door controller. As a result, a problem with the MyQ Servers will prevent the module from working with Alarm.com.
Second, compatibility with Alarm.com is based on whether or not the MyQ Garage Door Controller associates with the MyQ App and the MyQ Servers. The MyQ brand is a sub-category for LiftMaster Garage Doors. Any garage door that interfaces with the MyQ App can ultimately be integrated with the Alarm.com platform. All MyQ-branded garage doors should be able to do this. But not all LiftMaster Garage Doors are used with the MyQ App. Those garage door controllers that do not interface with MyQ cannot be used with Alarm.com.
Third, you will need to provide the MyQ Serial Number for the MyQ Garage Door Controller when completing the integration. The MyQ Serial Number is different than the Product Serial Number for the device, but they are often easily confused. Both the MyQ Serial Number and the Product Serial Number are found underneath a flip-up cover for the module. We recommend taking a picture of the sticker that provides the MyQ Serial Number and the Product Serial Number and storing it somewhere safe for easy access later. You can also find the MyQ Serial Number on your smartphone when you use the MyQ App to connect the garage door controller module to a WIFI network.
The fourth consideration is that the MyQ Garage Door Controller must be online and connected with a WIFI network when completing the integration with Alarm.com. Most MyQ Garage Door Controllers can only be used with 2.4 GHz WIFI networks, and they will not interface with 5 GHz WIFI networks. Finally, make sure that the MyQ Remote LED Light is properly set up and enabled with your MyQ Garage Door Controller. Without the MyQ Remote LED Light, the garage door can still be displayed on Alarm.com, but you will not be able to control the module remotely.
For this FAQ, we will make the following assumptions:
- You have a compatible MyQ Garage Door that has already been set up and connected with a local 2.4 GHz WIFI network using the MyQ App.
- You already have access to Alarm.com through an appropriate monitoring plan.
- You already have the MyQ Serial Number for the device. Remember, the MyQ Serial Number is different than the Product Serial Number.
- You already have the MyQ Remote LED Light installed and set up with the garage door controller.
Once all of above assumptions are true, complete the following steps to add a MyQ Garage Door Controller to your Alarm.com account:
1. Enable the LiftMaster integration. A MyQ Garage Door Controller is paired with Alarm.com using the LiftMaster integration. This integration can only be enabled by your alarm monitoring company. Contact your provider, and ask them to enable the feature, if they haven't already. Please note that Alarm Grid customers who use Alarm.com for automation control can have this feature enabled at no additional cost.
2. Enter the Alarm.com website. Open a web browser, and access the Alarm.com website. Login to your Alarm.com account using your credentials. You must be using the Alarm.com website, not the mobile app.
3. Start the integration process. On the left side of the screen, choose Settings. Look under Automation Devices, and choose LiftMaster Installation. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the LiftMaster Gateway.
4. Provide the MyQ SN. As part of the integration, you will be required to provide the MyQ Serial Number for the garage door motor. Make sure to enter this Serial Number exactly as it is displayed on the product. Alarm.com will begin pairing the MyQ device with the network after providing the Serial Number. You should be able to control the MyQ device from Alarm.com once the integration is complete. If you were previously using the garage door with the MyQ/LiftMaster app, once you integrate the gateway with Alarm.com, you will no longer be able to access it through that app.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More