How Do I Add a Hardwire Zone to a Qolsys IQ Panel 2?
You can add a hardwired zone to a Qolsys IQ Panel 2 by connecting a normally closed hardwired sensor to one of the two terminals on the back, or by using a compatible wired to wireless converter. The settings for the hardwired sensor will then need to be configured from the system.
If a user only intends on using one or two normally closed contacts, then their best bet is to usually just use the wired zones on the back of the system. But if a user needs to add a larger number of wired sensors, then a wired to wireless converter will be needed. Any hardwired sensor that is used with the system will need to have its settings configured.
Complete the following steps to add a normally closed contact to one of the two hardwired zones on the back of the IQ Panel 2:
1. Wire the sensor. Run a 2-conductor wire from the sensor to the IQ Panel 2. The system has a set of hardwired terminals on the back. On the right, there is an orange terminal and a black terminal. These are for powering the system, and they are not used with hardwired sensors. The next two terminals to the left are for the first hardwired sensor. The one on the right is the ground for the negative (-) wire (black), and the one on the left is the power for the positive (+) wire (red). Then, the next two terminals to the left are for the second hardwired sensor. Again, the right terminal is for the negative (-) wire (black), and the left terminal is for the positive (+) wire (red). The two terminals on the far left are for a hardwired siren, and they can be ignored.
This setup can be seen in the diagram below. "GND" is for ground, and it is for the negative (-) wire. "PWR" is for power, and it is for the positive wire. The orange labels are associated with the first hardwired zone, and the pink labels are associated with the second hardwired zone. The terminals with a light blue X are irrelevant and can be ignored. To connect a wire, press a small flathead screwdriver into the button above the terminal, and insert the wire into the port below. The wire should be stripped about a quarter of an inch when doing this. Make sure the connections are nice and secure.
2. Access sensor programming. Start from the main menu of the IQ Panel 2 System. Press the small grey bar at the top of the screen. Choose Settings > Advanced Settings > enter Installer Code (default 1111) > Installation > Devices > Security Sensors > Add Sensor. This will take you to a a screen for adding a new sensor.
3. Add the sensor. For "Sensor DL ID" enter "HW1" if the first hardwired zone is being used, or "HW2" if the second hardwired zone is being used. This entry is case-sensitive, and the H and the W must both be capitalized. Next, configure all of the other settings appropriately. Press the "Add New" button at the bottom when finished. If everything was configured correctly, the new sensor will be added to the system.
4. Exit programming. Press the picture of the house at the bottom of the screen to exit programming and return to the main menu. Any changes that were made will be automatically saved.
The other way to add a hardwired sensor to the IQ Panel 2 is with a wired to wireless converter. Qolsys manufactures the IQ Hardwire 8, the IQ Hardwire 8-S, the IQ Hardwire 16 and the IQ Hardwire 16-S. The "8" converters can support 8 hardwired sensors, while the "16" converters can support 16 hardwired sensors. The "S" versions are protected by encryption.
A hardwired sensor will connect directly with the wired to wireless converter. The converter will then send a signal to the panel on the behalf of the hardwired sensor. The panel will recognize the hardwired sensor as a wireless sensor. Each hardwired sensor that is used in this way will require one of the panel's 128 wireless zones.
Complete the following steps to setup a hardwired sensor using a wired to wireless converter.
1. Wire the sensor. Start by plugging the converter into a wall outlet using its transformer. Then wire the hardwired sensor to the converter. The exact process for doing should be outlined in the instructions for the hardwired sensor. Make sure the sensor is appropriately connected before continuing.
2. Learn-in the sensor. Start from the main screen of the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 System. Click the small grey bar at the top of the screen. Then choose Settings > Advanced Settings > enter Installer Code (default 1111) > Devices > Security Sensors > Auto-Learn Sensor. This will take you to a screen where new sensors can be auto-enrolled.
Fault the sensor connected to the converter to have it automatically learned-in. Press OK, and then configure the settings for the sensor. Press the "Add New" button at the bottom of the screen when finished. The sensor will be automatically learned-in with the system.
3. Exit programming. Press the picture of the house at the bottom of the screen to exit programming and return to the main menu. Any changes that were made will be automatically saved.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More