How Do I Create an Automation in Apple HomeKit?
You can create an Automation in Apple HomeKit by using the Home App on your iOS device. To have a HomeKit Automation activate automatically, you must have a Home Hub, such as an iPad or Apple TV. You must have at least one HomeKit Accessory added to the Home App to create an Automation.
An Automation refers to a smart home function that is performed automatically by Apple HomeKit when certain events occur. Automations can be set to automatically trigger based on action, time or location. An Automation based on action will activate when a certain action is performed. For example, if the HomeKit network includes a Honeywell Lyric Alarm System, then the user might have an action-based Automation perform whenever their security system is armed. An Automation based on time will activate at a predetermined time, such as 11pm on the weekends or 9am on weekdays. Finally, an Automation based on location will activate based on the global positioning of the user's iOS device. This way, the user can have an Automation activate when leaving or entering their home. Regardless of type, each HomeKit Automation can use multiple HomeKit-compatible devices for the user's convenience.
Automations can only activate automatically if the user has a HomeKit Hub established. This can come in the form of an iPad, Apple TV, or Home Pod. The Hub is necessary for serving as the centerpiece of the HomeKit network, and it must relay the Automation command to the relevant HomeKit devices. The user must also have at least one HomeKit accessory added to the Home App. If they have no accessories, then there will be nothing for the Automation to control. It is also recommended that the user's iOS device is running the latest iOS version before the user attempts to create any Automations. The steps below will assume that the user has already met these requirements. Remember, new HomeKit Automations are created from an iOS device. They cannot be created from a Honeywell Lyric Controller. However, this process is still relevant for HomeKit users who have a Honeywell Lyric Security System included with their Apple HomeKit network.
Please note that the screenshots are taken from an iPad. The screens may appear different on a different iOS device. Complete the following steps to create a new HomeKit Automation:
1. Start creating the automation. Begin from the main screen of your iPhone or iPad. Locate the Home App, and open it. The Home App can be identified as a white house with a yellow background. The logo can be seen near the top of this FAQ. Once you have opened the Home App, click on the Automation tab. Then press Create New Automation or the orange + button.
2. Choose the Automation Type. You must then choose the Automation Type, which refers to when the Automation will go into effect. If you want an action-based Automation choose either "An Accessory is Controlled" or "A Sensor Detects Something". If you want a location-based Automation, choose either "People Arrive" or "People Leave". If you want a time-based Automation choose "A Time of Day Occurs". From there will you will configure the settings for when exactly the Automation will take effect. Then press the Next button to continue. The Next button may be greyed out until you make the proper selection(s). Please note that for location-based Automations, the iOS device in question must have the Share My Location option enabled from within primary device settings.
3. Choose scenes and accessories. You must then select the HomeKit Scenes and/or HomeKit Accessories that will activate when the automation goes into effect. Make sure all of the relevant options have been selected and configured as needed. Then press the Next button to continue. The Next button may be greyed out until you make the proper selection(s).
4. Configure and finish. If you need to adjust the exact settings for a how a particular accessory will respond, you can press and hold the device in question to enter its sub-menu. Press the Next button when you have finished setting the response for that accessory. Once all of the accessories have been configured as needed, you can press the Done button to finish. The Automation will then automatically take effect whenever the parameters outlined in Step 2 are met. There is also an option to Test the Automation at any time.
If you ever need to turn off or delete an automation, complete the following steps:
1. Open the Home App. Open the Home App on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Open the Automations Menu. Press the Automations tab to open the Automations Menu.
3. Find the Automation. Locate the Automation you want to turn off or delete. Then click on that Automation to continue.
4. Turn off or delete. If you want to temporarily turn off the Automation click the button next to "Enable This Automation". The button will turn grey when the Automation is no longer enabled. The Automation can always be reenabled later. The button will turn green when the Automation is enabled.
If you want to delete the Automation, scroll down to the "Delete Automation" option. Then click on that button. Confirm that you want to delete the Automation. Any Automation that is deleted will need to be recreated from scratch.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More