How Do I Remove an Alarm Sensor from My Door?
You can remove an alarm sensor from your door by deleting the zone from the system and taking the sensor and its magnet off the door. Wired door sensors will require you to disconnect the wires from the sensor and remove them from the wall. The complete process is actually very easy.
Most door alarm contacts consist of two parts. These are the sensor and the magnet. The sensor is normally installed on or inside the door frame, while the magnet is mounted on or inside the door itself. You may need to remove a door alarm sensor if you plan on relocating or if you ever need to replace the sensor with a new one. You may need a screwdriver to complete the process. This will depend on how the sensor is mounted.
Complete the following steps to remove an alarm sensor from your door:
1. Clear the zone. Go to your panel, and delete the zone from the panel. This will involve entering zone programming using your system's Installer Code. The process for deleting the zone will depending on the panel your are using. You should refer to the panel's instruction manual for more information on deleting a zone.
2. Remove the wires. If you have a hardwired door alarm sensor, then you must disconnect and remove the wires. This must be done both at the panel and at the sensor. Recessed door sensors will require you to take the device out from the door frame to access the wires. You will need a screwdriver to disconnect the wires. From there, you can fish the wires out of the opening. Please note that this step is only required for hardwired sensors. If you are removing a wireless door sensor, you can skip this step.
3. Take off the sensor. Take the door sensor off the door frame. This process will depend on how the sensor is mounted. If the sensor is recessed, you can pry or pull it out of the door frame. If the sensor is surface-mounted with double-sided foam tape, you can remove the sensor from the adhesive and peel the adhesive off the door frame. If the sensor is surface-mounted with screws, you can use a screwdriver to remove the screws that secure the sensor.
4. Take off the magnet. Take the magnet off the door. This process will depend on how the magnet is mounted. If the magnet is recessed, you can pry or pull it out of the door. If the magnet is surface-mounted with double-sided foam tape, you can remove the magnet from the adhesive and peel the adhesive off the door. If the magnet is surface-mounted with screws, you can use a screwdriver to remove the screws that secure the magnet.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More
- Wireless Door Sensors and Window Alarm Sensors
- Door & Window Alarm Sensors
- Door Alarm Sensors
- Wired Door & Window Alarm Contacts
- Wired Door Alarm Sensors