How Do I Set Up Automation on My Interlogix Simon XTi or XTi-5?
You can set up automation on your Interlogix Simon XTi or XTi-5 by adding a Z-Wave controller to the system. All cellular communicators, which are compatible with Alarm.com, have integrated Z-Wave controllers. Once the communicator is activated, Z-Wave devices can be added to the network.
The Simon XTi and XTi-5 Systems do not come with an integrated Z-Wave controller for Z-Wave home automation devices. Instead, one must be added to the system separately. An Alarm.com cellular communicator will also serve as a Z-Wave controller. Once Z-Wave capability has been added, Z-Wave devices can be added and controlled through the panel's touch screen. They can also be controlled from Alarm.com.
We strongly encourage users to use a cellular communicator with the system. This is the only way to add Z-Wave compatibility to an Interlogix Simon Alarm System. Cellular communication for alarm systems is known for being both fast and reliable. This type of communication is not affected by most power outages, and it cannot be easily tampered with by others. Cellular service will also allow the system to sync with Alarm.com. For these reasons, adding a cellular module to the Simon XTi or XTi-5 System is ideal. The user will also need a monitoring plan that includes cellular service to use the module.
Once a Z-Wave controller has been added, you will be able set up Z-Wave devices with the system. This can be done by completing the following steps:
1. Enter programming. From the main screen of the Simon XTi or XTi-5 Panel, press the gear icon in the lower-right corner of the screen. Then press the down arrow until you see the "Programming" option and click "Enter". You must then enter in the Installer Code for the system. For a Simon XTi or XTi-5 System, the default Installer Code is 4321. Once you have entered the Installer Code, you'll see a screen with menu options.
2. Activate Z-Wave inclusion mode. Choose "Interactive Services", then "Z-Wave", and then "Add Device". The panel will display "Press button on device to add...". This will indicate that the panel is in its Z-Wave inclusion mode.
3. Add the device. With the Z-Wave device within range of the panel, activate the device's Z-Wave inclusion function. The process for activating a Z-Wave device's inclusion function can vary between different Z-Wave devices. Many Z-Wave devices have an inclusion button that can be pressed to put the device in its inclusion mode. Other devices, such as Z-Wave locks, may require a specific input command to be pressed. Check the manual for the Z-Wave device to find out how to put it into its inclusion mode. After activating the device's Z-Wave inclusion, the XTi or XTi-5 Panel should recognize the device. Once this occurs, the panel will display that the device has been added. The device will also be assigned a number.
4. Update devices. After adding a Z-Wave device to an XTi or XTi-5 System, you should update your menus so that the new Z-Wave device is properly displayed. After the device has been added, press the "Close" button in the upper-right corner of the screen. Make sure to only press this button once. Then choose "Update 2WTTS". Then choose the type of Z-Wave device you just added. The possible options include "Lights", "Locks" and "Thermostats". Then choose the "Update" button. The panel will display that the system has been updated.
5. Exit and test. Repeatedly press the "Close" button in the upper-right corner of the screen until you return to the main screen. Any programming changes will then be saved automatically. You should then test the Z-Wave device to make sure that it is functioning properly. You can test the device from the panel itself or using Alarm.com.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More