How Do I Add a LiftMaster Garage Door Opener to a Qolsys IQ Panel 2?
You can add a LiftMaster Garage Door Opener to a Qolsys IQ Panel 2 by using a Linear GD00Z. This Z-Wave device will allow you to control your garage door opener from both your IQ Panel 2 and from Alarm.com. It comes with a tilt sensor for monitoring the garage door's current position.
Please note that the GD00Z will only work with older-style "non-MyQ" garage door openers from LiftMaster. The newer LiftMaster MyQ Garage Door Openers will not support the GD00Z. These MyQ devices can connect directly with Alarm.com through a server-level integration. They will communicate with ADC through WIFI so that they can be controlled from the website or by using the Alarm.com Mobile App. However, there is no way to control a LiftMaster MyQ Garage Door opener from the IQ Panel 2 itself. The explanation and process outlined below assumes that the user has an older-style non-MyQ garage door.
The Linear GD00Z is a Z-Wave garage door opener that wires-in directly with the user's existing garage door motor. It also includes a tilt sensor that is installed directly on the garage door itself. The tilt sensor relays information as to whether or not the garage door is open or closed. When the garage door is closed, the tilt sensor will be in a vertical position. But when the garage door is opened, the tilt sensor will be in a horizontal position. This lets the GD00Z alarm system know the current status of the garage door. A picture of the tilt sensor can be seen below:
When the user sends a command to open or close the garage door (from either the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 System or from Alarm.com), the signal will be sent to the Linear GD00Z sensor. The device will then pass this command to the LiftMaster Garage Door Motor so that the action can be taken. As a Z-Wave smart home device, the GD00Z can be integrated into various smart scenes on Alarm.com if desired.
We recommend enrolling the Linear GD00Z with the IQ Panel 2 System before attempting to install the device. This is because the Z-Wave device will most likely need to be brought within close proximity of the system during enrollment. As long as the device is within Z-Wave range of the IQ Panel 2 System and you have a strong mesh network, the GD00Z should function properly.
Complete the following steps to add a LiftMaster Garage Door Opener to a Qolsys IQ Panel 2 by using the Linear GD00Z:
1. Clear the device. Before enrolling any Z-Wave device, you should always clear the device from the network first. Even if the device is brand-new, it may have been enrolled with a different Z-Wave network for factory testing purposes. To clear the device, start from the main screen of the Qolsys IQ Panel 2. Press the small grey bar at the top of the screen. Then choose Settings > Advanced Settings > Installer Code (default is 1111) > Installation > Devices > Clear Device. The system will now be in its exclusion mode for clearing Z-Wave devices.
Next, activate the "link button" on the GD00Z. This is a small button on the side of the device. Please note that you may need to bring the device into close proximity of the IQ Panel 2 System when doing this. The panel should recognize the GD00Z and clear it from the network. The panel will display a message once the device has been cleared. Press "OK" to continue. You can see the link button for the GD00Z in the following picture:
2. Enroll the device. Once the device has been cleared, press the "Add Device" button. Then press the "Pair" button. Then press the link button on the GD00Z. Again, the device may need to be brought close to the IQ Panel 2 for the command to go through successfully. The IQ Panel 2 System will display a message once it has recognized the device. You must then configure the settings for the device. This includes providing a name for the device. Once you have finished, press "Add" to finish pairing the device.
3. Return to home screen. Press the picture of the house at the bottom screen. This will return the system to its home screen.
4. Install the equipment. After enrolling the device with the panel, the Linear GD00Z and its tilt sensor will need to be installed. The GD00Z will wire-in directly with the garage door motor. The tilt sensor will be mounted directly on the garage door. The Installation Manual for the GD00Z covers the entire installation process.
Note: The tilt sensor should be paired with the GD00Z from the factory, but if it is not, or if the GD00Z has been factory reset, it will require re-pairing. If the GD00Z is not communicating with the tilt sensor, and doesn't know the status of the door being controlled, it will not pass any commands to the LiftMaster controller. This will cause the GD00Z to show a malfunction message. To pair the tilt sensor with the GD00Z, follow these steps:
1. Learn the sensor. Press and hold the "Learn Button" (the same button used above) with the tilt sensor in the vertical position (arrow pointed up) until you hear a beep.
2. Release the button.
3. Change position. Move the tilt sensor to the horizontal position then press and hold the "Learn Button" again. The strobe on the GD00Z should flash and you should hear a total of five beeps, two slow, then three fast.
The tilt sensor has now been paired with the GD00Z.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More