How Do I Set Up Automation on My Interlogix Simon XT?
You can set up automation on your Interlogix Simon XT by learning-in Z-Wave devices with the system. The system will require a Z-Wave controller before any Z-Wave devices can be enrolled. Sensors are learned-in with the Interlogix Simon XT System through the System Programming Menu.
In order to support Z-Wave integration and Alarm.com service, the Simon XT must have an active cellular communicator installed. This requires a cellular module and an appropriate alarm monitoring plan. Any home automation devices that are set up with the Simon XT will be controlled either through Alarm.com or using an Interlogix Two-Way Talking Touch Screen Keypad. Any settings or configurations for Z-Wave devices can also be managed from these locations.
Complete the following steps to set up automation on your Interlogix Simon XT:
1. Obtain a Z-Wave Controller. A Z-Wave controller is required to use any Z-Wave home automation devices with an Interlogix Simon XT. Most cellular modules that are used with the Simon XT System also double as a Z-Wave controller. These are the only compatible Z-Wave controllers for the Simon XT System. Cellular service is particularly useful for an Interlogix Simon XT, as it will allow the system to work with Alarm.com. Cellular service is highly regarded for alarm systems in general, due to its fast speeds and exceptional reliability. For those reasons, we strongly recommend adding a cellular module to your Simon XT System if you have not already done so.
The Interlogix Two-Way Talking Touch Screen Keypad allows you to configure and control Z-Wave devices with your system. By installing this keypad, you will have a second point of access for controlling your Simon XT Alarm System. This keypad will also give you a way to operate Z-Wave devices locally, without having to use the Alarm.com mobile app. However, this external keypad is not an actual Z-Wave controller, and a cellular communicator is still needed for supporting Z-Wave devices.
2. Access System Programming. With the dual-purpose cellular module and Z-Wave controller installed, start from the main screen of the Simon XT System. Keep pressing the down arrow until the option "System Programming" is displayed, and then press the "OK" button. Then enter the Installer Code for the system. The default Installer Code is 4321. After you have entered in the Installer Code, press the "OK" button. This will take you into System Programming.
3. Exclude Z-Wave devices. Z-Wave devices are often included as part of quality assurance during production. For this reason, even a new device can sometimes have old network information learned into it. That is why Alarm Grid recommends that you exclude devices prior to attempting to include them.
Once in System Programming, press the up arrow once to reach the option "Interactive Services". Then press the "OK" button. Press the down arrow once to reach the option "Z-Wave Setup". Then press the "OK" button. Press the down arrow twice to reach "Remove Z-Wave Device". Then press the "OK" button. The screen will display "Press button on device to remove...". This indicates that Z-Wave devices can be excluded. Follow the instructions on the Z-Wave device for exclusion.
Repeat this step for all Z-Wave devices you intend to include with the system.
4. Enroll Z-Wave devices. Press the "Status" button once to reach the option "Z-Wave Setup". Then press the "OK" button. Press the down arrow once to reach "Add Z-Wave Device". Then press the "OK" button. The screen will display "Press button on device to add...". This indicates that Z-Wave devices can be added.
Activate the inclusion function on the Z-Wave device you want to add to the system. Ideally, the Z-Wave device should be right next to the system when doing this. Some Z-Wave devices have an inclusion button on the back of the device. Other Z-Wave devices, such as Z-Wave locks, may require some other type of action to be performed. Check the manual for the Z-Wave device to find out how to activate its inclusion function. After activating the device's inclusion function, the system should recognize the Z-Wave device. The Simon XT System will confirm once the device has been added, and a device number will be displayed.
Repeat this step for all Z-Wave devices you want to use with the system.
5. Test the devices. Try using Alarm.com or the Interlogix Two-Way Talking Touch Screen to control your Z-Wave devices. If they can be controlled and operated from these locations, then they have been programmed properly. You can then create rules and scenes for these devices to have them activate automatically based on a schedule or with certain system events.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More