Can a Tuxedo Touch Text My Phone Messages?
Yes, a Tuxedo Touch can text your phone messages. This is made possible by the device's ability to send email alerts. An email can be sent to a phone in the form of an SMS message. This technically makes it possible for the Tuxedo Touch to send email alerts regarding certain system events.
Complete the following steps to set up a Tuxedo Touch to send you text alerts regarding certain system events:
1. Connect to IP. The Tuxedo Touch must be configured with an IP (WIFI or ethernet) connection. This process is explained on pages 14 thru 16 of the Honeywell Tuxedo Touch WIFI Installation Manual & Setup Guide or pages 9 & 10 of the Honeywell Tuxedo Touch Installation Manual & Setup Guide. Remember, WIFI is used on the newer Honeywell Tuxedo Touch WIFI, while ethernet is used on the original non-WIFI version of the Tuxedo Touch.
2. Open Email Notifications. Start from the main screen of the Tuxedo Touch. Press the settings icon in the lower-left corner:
Then choose email:
This will take you into email notifications.
3. Configure the sending email. On the left side of the screen, choose the option "USER SMTP" at the bottom. This will take the system to a screen where email can be configured:
From there, the email can be configured. This is the email where the event notifications will be SENT FROM, not the email/phone that will actually receive the notifications. For that reason, any email can be used here, as long as it is valid and not the same recipient as the email/phone that will ultimately receive the notification.
The information that is needed includes the email server (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.), the Email ID (address) and the Email account password. The other fields can be left alone. Press the picture of the floppy disk at the bottom to save.
4. Configure the event. The events determine when exactly an email gets sent out. Once a predetermined action outlined in an event takes place, an email will be sent. Up to four different events can be programmed, and up to four recipients can be configured per event. The events are appropriately labeled 1 thru 4.
The actions within events are conveniently categorized in order to make them more organized. The categories include Security, Zones, Thermostat, Door Lock, Garage Door, Water Valve and Recording. Make sure to check the box next to any category that should be included in the event. Then click on the category itself to choose the specific actions within the category. Again, any action that should send a notification should have a checkmark next to it. Go through each appropriate category, and make sure that everything for the event is set before continuing.
5. Provide the recipient addresses. After the event has been entirely configured, press the empty box underneath "Email Address". This will take the system to a screen where recipient addresses can be provided:
Up to four recipient addresses can be provided here. Any address slot that is used should have a checkmark placed in the box next to it. Of course, standard email addresses can be used for regular email alerts. But to send SMS/text alerts, the email address associated with a 10-digit phone number must be provided in the following formula:
So if the phone number was 123-456-7890, then it could be one of the following depending upon the cellular service provider (carrier):
- AT&T: email@example.com
- Verizon: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember, the portion of the address after the @ will change depending upon the carrier. It may be necessary to look up the proper formatting for the cellular service provider.
After every address for the event has been configured, press the "Save" button at the bottom. It will take a moment for the addresses to save.
6. Repeat for other events. Remember, up to four different events, each with its own unique set of system actions, can be configured. Repeat the process outlined in Steps 4 and 5 for additional events if desired. Once you have configured all the events that will be used, press the save button (the floppy disk) at the bottom of the screen.
7. Exit the menu. Press the picture of the house in the upper-left corner to return to the home screen.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More
- Home Security Systems
- Business Security Systems
- Small Business Security Systems
- Monitored Home Security Systems
- DIY Wired Security Systems