How Do I Use an Interlogix Simon XT to Control a Garage Door?
You can use an Interlogix Simon XT to control a garage door by adding a Z-Wave garage door opener, which goes on the garage door, and a Z-Wave controller for the panel. The Z-Wave controller will communicate with the Z-Wave garage door opener allowing it to raise and lower the garage door.
The Z-Wave controller for an Interlogix Simon XT comes in the form of a cellular module with an integrated Z-Wave controller. Unless a Z-Wave controller is added to the system, a Z-Wave garage door opener will not be able to be used with the Simon XT. Once the Z-Wave garage door opener is enrolled with the system, a user can use Alarm.com or the Interlogix Two-Way Talking Touch Screen Keypad to control the garage door.
Make sure a Z-Wave controller is set up and working before attempting to enroll any Z-Wave devices with the system. Complete the following steps to enroll a Z-Wave garage door opener with a Simon XT:
1. Access system programming. Starting from the main screen of the Simon XT, keep pressing the down arrow until "System Programming" is displayed. Then press the "OK" button to select this option. You must then provide the Installer Code for the system. This code is set to 4321 by default. Once you have entered the Installer Code, press the "OK" button. If the Installer Code was entered properly, you will then enter system programming.
2. Activate exclusion mode. Devices are often learned into a network during manufacture, as part of the quality assurance process. For this reason, it is a good idea to exclude a device, prior to including it. This will erase any old network information and prepare the device to work in its new network.
From the System Programming Menu, press the up arrow once. The screen will display "Interactive Services". Press the "OK" button. Then press the down arrow once. the screen will display "Z-Wave Setup". Press the "OK" button. Press the down arrow twice. The screen will display "Remove Z-Wave device". Press the "OK" button. The screen will display "Press button on device to remove...". This indicates the system is in exclusion mode. Follow the instructions on your Z-Wave garage door controller to exclude it.
3. Activate inclusion mode. Once the device has been excluded, press "Status" until you see "Z-Wave Setup". Press the "OK" button. Press the down arrow again. The screen will display "Add Z-Wave device". Press the "OK" button. The screen will display "Press button on device to add...". This indicates that the system is now in its Z-Wave inclusion mode.
4. Include the opener. Activate the inclusion function on the Z-Wave garage door opener to add it into the Z-Wave network. Most Z-Wave garage door openers will have an inclusion button located somewhere on the device. Refer to the device's instruction manual for more information on how to activate its inclusion function. Once you have activated the device's inclusion function, the panel should recognize the device and confirm once it has been added. A device number will be displayed on the screen. You may need to bring the Z-Wave controller (the panel) and the Z-Wave garage door opener close to one another during the inclusion process. For this reason, it is best to go through inclusion before permanently mounting the device.
5. Exit programming and test. Keep pressing the "Status" button on the Simon XT until you are taken back to the main screen. Any programming changes that were made will be saved automatically. The Z-Wave garage door opener should be tested to make sure that it was programmed properly. You can test the device by using Alarm.com or the Interlogix Two-Way Talking Touch Screen Keypad to try and control the garage door. If the Z-Wave garage door opener activates, then it was programmed successfully.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More