Where Can I Buy Alarm Contacts?

You can buy alarm contacts from the Alarm Grid website. We offer all kinds of door and window contact sensors for nearly any type of alarm control panel. These devices are ideal for any DIY user who is looking to set up their own security system for use with Alarm Grid monitoring services.

Honeywell 5800mini interior wireless door and window sensor

A door contact is a type of system sensor that alerts the panel when a door or window has been opened. Most door contacts consist of two parts. These are a sensor and a magnet. The sensor is mounted on or inside the stationary door or window frame. The magnet is mounted on or inside the moving part of the door or window, usually within a half-inch of the sensor. When the door or window is closed, the sensor and magnet will be in very close proximity, possibly even in direct contact. This is how these sensors earned the name "contacts".

When the door or window is opened, the magnet will separate from the sensor. This will release a metal reed switch inside the sensor and activate the device. The sensor will then send an alert to the panel to let it know that the door or window has been opened. The system will then respond based on the programming settings for that zone. Wireless door and window sensors send wireless radio frequency signals to the panel when activated, while wired door and window sensors do this through a physical hardwired connection. Wireless door and window sensors are easier to install since, no wires need to be run. But wired door and window sensors offer their own advantage because they never have batteries that must be periodically replaced.

If a user chooses a wireless door and window sensor, they will need to make sure that it communicates at a wireless frequency that is compatible with their alarm panel. An alarm panel will typically have a wireless receiver that will accept signals at a certain frequency. For example, if the system has a wireless receiver that accepts signals at the 345 MHz frequency, then they will not be able to use 319.5 MHz sensors with their system. As for wired door and window sensors, a user will need to make sure that they have a hardwired input available for the sensor. This could be on the system's board, or it could be on an external device. If a user has a wireless system and they want to use several hardwired sensors, they will probably need some type of wired to wireless converter.

Door and window contact sensors can either be surface-mounted or recessed. Wireless and hardwired options are available for both types. A surface-mounted sensor and its magnet will be mounted on the outside of the door or window and its frame. This means that it will be visible from the outside. This type of sensor is easier to install, since no holes will need to be drilled. In fact, surface-mounted sensors can often be installed using double-sided foam tape. This eliminates the need for tools during the installation process.

Recessed contacts and their magnets are inserted into parallel holes that are drilled into the door or window and its frame. Obviously, this means that holes must be drilled. However, some users prefer recessed contacts since they are hidden from outside view. This can lead to a more aesthetically pleasing installation There is also a special type of recessed sensor that does not use a magnet. These devices are called recessed switches. A recessed switch has a plunger switch that will be pressed inward when the door or window is closed. Once the door or window is opened, the plunger switch will be released, and the sensor will alert the system. An example of a recessed switch is the Honeywell 5800RPS.

Did you find this answer useful?

We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / month

Click Here to Learn More

Related Categories