Anyone with a Honeywell VISTA P-Series Panel will want to add some type of communicator to get the system monitored. The ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ is a unique option for this, as it allows the VISTA System to work with Alarm.com, even though this system is traditionally used with Total Connect 2.0.
Since VISTA Systems are manufactured by Honeywell and Resideo, the same company that owns AlarmNet, they are most commonly used with their in-house interactive security notification and automation platform, Total Connect 2.0. But a compatible system enhancement module (SEM) allows the system to instead communicate with the Alarm.com servers for monitoring service. Total Connect 2.0 and Alarm.com are pretty similar for the most part, but there are some reasons you may want to select Alarm.com by going with an SEM device. Perhaps the most obvious is that Alarm.com currently dominates over Total Connect 2.0 in terms of video surveillance offerings. The Alarm.com camera roster is much deeper, and also the Alarm.com Video Surveillance Platform has a wide selection of Video Analytics features that you would miss out on with TC2. You can make this possible on your VISTA P-Series System with the ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ.
You should also be impressed with the exceptional reliability of the Alarm.com ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ. This is because the unit sends and receives signals across the Verizon LTE Network. Another communication path is also available, as you can connect a wired ethernet cable for internet service. This is great because even if one communication path goes down or becomes unavailable, the other path will still be in service as an important backup. One other note is that Verizon plans to keep their LTE network running well into the very distant future. With this System Enhancement Module (SEM) you can keep your system monitored for a very long time. Keep in mind that a monitoring plan with cellular connectivity is required for monitoring service and activation with Alarm.com. The Alarm Grid Gold Plan (Self or Full) is an example of a plan that you can use with the ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ.
Another huge benefit of the Alarm.com ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ is that the module doubles as a fully functioning Z-Wave Plus Controller. This will allow you to add a wide selection of Z-Wave and Z-Wave Plus smart home automation devices. Some examples may include, lights, locks, and door locks. Whenever possible, you should use Z-Wave Plus devices for the ultimate in wireless range and battery life. Also do not forget that all Z-Wave action and commands will need to be performed from Alarm.com. There will be no way to control the paired Z-Wave devices locally at the panel. If a Tuxedo Keypad is in use on the panel, the user will need to choose between using the Tuxedo as a Z-Wave controller and controlling devices locally only, or using the SEM as the Z-Wave controller and being able to control devices from anywhere.
Unlike previous SEM units, the new 300-Series SEMs utilize a much lower power consumption, at just 230mA maximum. These units also now have the new ability to be used without an external power supply, which was required with older modules. If you use the SEM without an external power supply, then all power will be supplied from the VISTA Alarm Panel. Alternatively, you can still use an external power supply if you do not have 230mA available from the panel, or if you just prefer to do use a setup with an external power supply.
The Alarm.com ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ is specifically made for VISTA P-Series Systems. These include the 10P, 15P, 20P, and 21iP Systems. There are also some important firmware requirements for each VISTA P-Series Panel to support the ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ. These are outlined below:
- VISTA-10P - Revision 2.0 or Higher
- VISTA-15P & 20P - Revision 5.2 or Higher
- VISTA-21iP - Revision 3.1 or Higher.
Additionally your VISTA System must be from 2005 or newer. You can check the current installed Firmware Version on your system's PROM Chip. The PROM Chip is a small black chip located on the main panel circuit board. It will have a white sticker that starts with "WA". Use this code on the PROM Chip to determine if your VISTA System is capable of supporting the ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ. Furthermore, many off-branded versions of Honeywell VISTA Panels, such as First Alert Professional panels, can also support this same ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ Communicator.
Manufacturer's Note: If the SEM will be used on a VISTA Panel with a Voice Keypad, such as the 6150V, 6160V, etc., then make sure that the SEM is on Version 1.60+.
Certain peripherals are not compatible with the ADC-SEM300-VT-VZ. Make sure that none of the following devices are being used on the panel before adding the SEM:
- AVS (Audio Verification System)
- Honeywell 4232CBM
- Telephone (POTS) line for monitoring
- Sensor Activity Monitoring (SAM) is not supported for the following device: Honeywell 5822T Tilt Sensor. If any of these devices are being used, be sure SAM is disabled for each of these sensors.
- Product Type: System Enhancement Module (SEM) Communicator
- Compatibility: Honeywell & ADEMCO VISTA P-Series Alarm Panels and their equivalents
- Minimum Panel Firmware: VISTA-15P VISTA-20P Version 5.2+ ; VISTA-10P Version 2.0+ ; VISTA-21iP Version 3.1+ (Check PROM Chip)
- Panel Connections: 4-Wire Connection w/ 2-Wire for Data & 2-Wire for Power
- IP Communication: Wired Ethernet
- Cellular Carrier: Verizon LTE
- Cellular Networks: 4G LTE w/ 3G HSPA, and 2G GSM
- Automation: Z-Wave Plus
- Interactive Platform: Alarm.com
- Over-the-Air (OTA) Updates: Yes
- Tamper Switches: Cover and Wall Detection
- Power Requirements: 12 V nominal, 125 mA nominal (continuous), 230 mA max
- LED Lights: Five (5) Total
- ETL Listings: UL985, UL1023, and ULC S545
- Operating Temperature: 14°F to 131°F
- Storage Temperature: -30°F to 140°F
- Operating Humidity: 90% Relative Humidity, Non-Condensing
- Enclosure Dimensions: 7.66"L x 4.35"W x 1.65"D
- Enclosure Color: White
- Case Material: Fire-retardant PC/ABS, PC