How Do I Properly Add a 2-Wire Smoke Zone to My Qolsys Hardwire 16-F?
You can properly add a 2-wire smoke to your Qolsys Hardwire 16-F by wiring the zone before trying to enroll the device with the panel. You must use a 4.7k resistor wired in parallel at the end of the line. You can then put the system into its wireless enrollment mode and activate the smoke.
The Qolsys Hardwire 16-F is a wired to wireless converter that allows wired sensors to interface with wireless alarm panels. The 16th zone on the converter is a Normally Open loop that can be used with 2-wire smoke detectors. The Qolsys Hardwire 16-F communicates at 319.5 MHz, and it can be used with nearly any alarm panel that accepts this frequency. But it was specifically designed for the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 and the 319.5 MHz version of the IQ Panel 2 Plus.
Please note that the 16th zone must be configured as a Normally Open (NO) zone before the Qolsys IQ Hardwire 16-F is enrolled with a panel. If the Qolsys Hardwire 16-F was enrolled to a system without a sensor at the 16th zone, then it will be recognized as a Normally Closed (NC) zone. This will also be the case if the zone had a Normally Closed wiring configuration when the module was initially enrolled.
In either of the aforementioned situations, you must perform a memory reset for the Hardwire 16-F and re-enroll the module with the 16th zone correctly set up with a Normally Open wiring configuration. This will have the Hardwire 16-F properly recognize Zone 16 as a Normally Open zone. More information about performing a memory reset is found in the Qolsys IQ Hardwire 16-F Install Guide. Also refer to this guide for a list of compatible 2-wire smokes.
For the purpose of this FAQ, we will assume that an IQ Panel 2 is being used. However, if you are using a different 319.5 MHz system, then you can follow the enrollment process for that panel. Complete the following steps to properly add a 2-wire smoke zone to your Qolsys Hardwire 16-F:
1. Wire the smoke detector. You must wire the smoke detector before attempting to enroll the Hardwire 16-F with the panel. It should use a parallel wiring configuration, which tells the panel to recognize the zone as a Normally Open (NO) zone. If you are using multiple 2-wire smokes, they must all be wired in parallel. You must use Zone 16, as it is the only zone on the Hardwire 16-F that can be used with a 2-wire smoke detector. You must also use a 4.7k end of line resistor at the end of the wiring configuration. The color code for a 4.7k resistor is yellow-violet-red-gold. The resistor should also be wired in parallel.
2. Access wireless enrollment mode. Start from the main screen of the IQ Panel 2. Press the small grey bar at the top of the screen. Then choose Settings > Advanced Settings > Installer Code (default 1111) > Installation > Devices > Security Sensors > Auto-Learn Sensor. This will put the panel in its wireless enrollment mode.
3. Enroll the converter module. Once Zone 16 has a Normally Open wiring configuration and the IQ Panel 2 is in its wireless enrollment mode, you can then successfully enroll the Qolsys IQ Hardwire 16-F with the panel. Before doing this check and make sure that all 16 zones have a 4.7k resistor installed, even if there are zones not being used. If a tamper switch is being used, it must be Normally Closed and be wired to the Hardwire 16-F with no resistor. If no tamper supervision is being used, strap a short piece of wire across the tamper terminals.
Next, apply power to the Qolsys Hardwire 16-F by plugging-in its transformer. Press and hold the EOL Learn Button on the Hardwire 16-F for about two seconds to put the converter into its learn mode. Activate the tamper switch that was just attached. If no tamper switch is being used, remove one end of the wire used to strap out the tamper input. Then secure the wire back under the terminal. This will have the converter send a signal to the panel. The panel should recognize the module and ask you if you want to enroll it. Press OK to confirm. Then configure its settings and press Add New when finished. The module should be enrolled as a hardwire translator.
4. Enroll the smoke detector. Choose Auto-Learn Sensor on the IQ Panel 2 to have the system re-enter its wireless enrollment mode. Press and hold the EOL Learn button on the Hardwire 16-F for about two seconds. This will put the wireless converter back into its enrollment mode. Then activate the smoke detector. You can do this by pressing the smoke detector's test button or by using canned smoke. The IQ Panel 2 should recognize the sensor and learn it in as a wireless zone. Press OK on the IQ Panel 2 to confirm enrollment. You can then press the EOL Learn button on the Hardwire 16-F to take it out of learn mode.
5. Configure the zone. On the IQ Panel 2, go through and configure the settings for the zone. You can do this like you would for any wireless sensor, just make sure to adjust the settings according to the zone's intended use. When you have finished, press the Add New button to save your changes. You can then press the picture of the house at the bottom of the screen to return to the main menu.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More