How Do I Successfully Update The 2GIG Easy Updater Tool?
Download the latest firmware file for the Updater Tool. A Windows PC with all available Windows Updates installed should be used. Connect the 2GIG Easy Updater Tool to this PC using a Micro USB/USB FTDI capable cable. Right-click the appropriate file, and choose to "Run as Administrator".
When the 2GIG Easy Updater Tool is shipped, it will more than likely come with an older version of Firmware installed. In order to update a 2GIG Go!Control (GC2) Panel, the user will first need to update the Updater Tool. To properly update the Tool follow these steps:
1. Unpack the device. The 2GIG Easy Updater Tool comes with the tool itself, a 4-pin adapter, and instructions for use. The 4-pin adapter is for use with some older 2GIG TS1 Touchscreen keypads. If you have one of these keypads, make sure to hang on to this piece. It is small and easily misplaced.
2. Download the new Firmware. Download the latest version of 2GIG GC2 Firmware. Make sure to do this on a Windows PC running at least Windows 7. Also, make sure that all available Windows updates have been installed. Save the file in a directory that's easy for you to find later, such as the "Downloads" folder. This is where Windows should save the file by default.
After clicking on the button to download the file, you will see this screen. Click the Download Icon in the upper right, and choose "Direct Download".
3. Extract the files. Depending on how you have Windows configured, you should see something like the image below. In our example, we downloaded the file to the Downloads folder in Windows. This file is compressed or zipped, and actually contains two separate files. One is a driver file for the Easy Updater Tool, and the other is the actual upgrade file which you will be applying to the Updater Tool, once you get the driver installed.
Right-click on the downloaded file and select "Extract All". By default, Windows will choose to extract to the same folder currently housing the original file, in this case the Downloads folder. It will also give the folder it creates the same name as the original downloaded file. This is ok because the two files have different extensions, therefore you won't get a duplicate file name error.
4. Install Updater Tool Driver. Open the folder created when you extracted the zipped file. You will see a file called CDM21228_Setup.exe. Depending on your settings in Windows, you may not see the file extension, as shown in the screenshot below but that's ok. Right-click on this file and choose "Run as Administrator". Follow the prompts in the Installation Wizard and click "Finish" when it has completed.
5. Connect the Device. Connect the 2GIG Easy Updater Tool to the Windows PC where you downloaded the file in Step 2. To make this connection, you must have a Micro USB/USB FTDI compatible cable. This cable will look similar to a cable used to charge an Android Phone or Tablet. However, many of these cables now only support the passing of power along the cable. The Updater Tool requires a cable that will pass both power and data. Make sure that the cable supports both data and power. If you are prompted by Windows to update the FTDI driver once this cable has been plugged in, follow the instructions provided by Windows and do so.
6. Update the Device. Once the Updater Tool is connected to the computer using the proper cable, perform the update. Right-click on the update file extracted in Step 2, and choose to "Run as Administrator". Once you've done this you will know if you have the correct type of cable or not based on the message you see on the Windows PC.
As part of the update, drivers will be installed for the Updater Tool. Once these have been successfully installed, you will see a message letting you know the firmware on the Updater Tool is being flashed. Both 2GIG GC2 Alarm Panel firmware and 2GIG TS1 Touchscreen Keypad Firmware will be installed on the Updater Tool. While the update is being applied, the device will have various numbers and letters displayed to show that it is being updated.
7. Complete the update. When the update is complete, the Updater Tool will display "donE", and it will emit eight rapid beeps. The computer will also display a message letting you know the update has completed successfully.
From there, you can follow the steps to update your 2GIG Go!Control or 2GIG GC2e panel using the Easy Updater Tool.
Note: Per literature from 2GIG, the TS1 and the GC2 panel must be on the same version of Firmware, however, 2GIG has not released an update for the TS1 beyond 1.16, whereas the GC2 panel is currently at 18.104.22.168 (as of June, 2021) so this is no longer true. Just be sure that if you are using a 2GIG TS1 that it is on the latest version.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More
- Home Security Systems
- Home Security Systems
- Business Security Systems
- Business Security Systems
- Apartment Security Systems
- DIY Wireless Security Systems
- Small Business Security Systems
- Monitored Home Security Systems
- Answered By
- Julia Ross