How Do I Get AC Power To The Qolsys IQ Panel 4?
Qolsys has provided two (2) options to connect the IQ4 to AC power. First, there is a barrel jack connector. This connection uses the supplied power cable. Second, there is a terminal block built into the backplate. Here you connect two stripped wires to the positive and negative terminals.
The Qolsys IQ Panel 4 is a 7" touchscreen All-In-One panel with a built-in camera. The panel comes in three (3) different variations, or as we refer to them here at Alarm Grid, different flavors. The various flavors allow the user to install a new feature-rich wireless panel while using the previous system's wireless sensors. They include the 319.5 Mhz (Qolsys/GE/Interlogix) sensors, 345 Mhz (Honeywell/2gig) sensors, and 433 Mhz (DSC) sensors. All three (3) flavors will also support the 915 MHz PowerG frequency sensors. There is also an IQ Panel 4 version that supports PowerG only.
The panel comes with a 7VDC transformer and a pre-cut length of wire with a barrel jack connector on one end, like the one pictured below. The transformer gets plugged directly into an AC wall receptacle. The same transformer is used whether you choose to use the barrel jack connection or a custom wire length. The barrel jack is the easiest option to use when the provided precut wire is long enough to reach from the transformer to the panel's mounting location. If not, then a custom wire length can be cut and used with the panel's terminal block.
To provide AC power to the Qolysys IQ Panel 4 using the supplied cable with a barrel jack, follow the steps below:
- Connect the transformer wire. The included wire has two (2) different ends. The end that will connect to the transformer has two (2) fork spade connectors. Wire the red lead to the terminal marked (+) positive and the black lead to the transformer terminal marked (-) negative.
Connect the panel wire. The other end of the wire will have a barrel jack connector. This plugs into the rear of the panel. If mounting the panel to the wall, be sure to thread the power wire through the wiring hole in the back of the backplate before connecting it.
If you are using the optional Qolsys IQ Base, it has a black wiring harness that connects to a black connector plug on the back of the panel board. Once it is connected and the IQ Base has been attached to the back of the panel (the backplate for wall mounting is removed), then the barrel jack connector plugs into the IQ Base. Using a custom length of wire is not possible when using the IQ Base, it requires the barrel jack to power the system.
- Plug in the transformer. Mount the transformer bracket to the AC wall plug using the attached adhesive. Plug in the transformer and secure the transformer with the included bracket and zip tie. This secures the transformer to the outlet and makes it less likely to become accidentally unplugged.
- Power the panel on. Press and hold the power button on the side of the panel for three (3) seconds. Then the panel will begin to boot up.
To provide AC power to the Qolysys IQ Panel 4 using a custom length cable, follow the steps below:
- Connect the transformer wire. Qolsys strongly recommends using 18 AWG wire at a length of not more than 98.5 ft to ensure enough power is provided to the IQ Panel 4. The minimum recommended wire gauge is 22 AWG. In all instances, power wire runs should be as short as possible. Longer wire runs should use heavier wire gauges. It is recommended to use two (2) conductor wire, with a red and a black lead. The Red lead should connect to the Positive (+) terminal, and the Black lead should connect to the Negative (-) terminal on the transformer. This will help to ensure that proper polarity is observed at both the transformer and the panel.
Connect wires to the panel. When using a custom wire length, be sure you are observing the proper polarity, matching your connected to the transformer. When using a two (2) conductor wire with red and black leads, connect the Red wire to the terminal marked Positive (+), and connect the Black wire to the terminal marked Negative (-) at the panel. The terminals are inside the backplate for wall mounting. The wires are connected by depressing the plastic tab, and inserting the wire into the proper hole, then releasing the plastic tab.
In order to use the IQ Base, you must power the panel using the provided precut wire with the barrel connector. Using a custom wire length and connecting to the terminal block on the panel's backplate is not possible if the IQ Base is being used.
- Plug in the transformer. Mount the transformer bracket to the AC wall plug by removing the adhesive protector. Plug in the transformer and secure the transformer with the included bracket and provided zip tie. This helps to keep the transformer securely plugged in.
- Turn the panel on. Press and hold the power button on the side of the panel for three (3) seconds. The panel will begin the boot up process.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More
- Apartment Security Systems
- Home Automation Controllers
- Small Business Security Systems
- Monitored Home Security Systems
- DIY Wireless Security Systems
- Answered By
- Fred Daniels