How Does The Z-Wave Light Status Feature Work With Alarm.com?
The Z-Wave light status feature with Alarm.com works by displaying the current status for Z-Wave lights programmed with the user's panel. The user can check Alarm.com to see the current status for their lights. However, there is a limit to the number of lights that can be used in this way.
Alarm.com has a limit of ten (10) lights that can be used to display current status. But there is an exception to this rule. Any "certified" light which provides real-time status doesn't count towards this limit. This is an exclusive list put out by Alarm.com. Only certain Z-Wave Plus lights are included in the list. There are no classic Z-Wave lights that are certified by Alarm.com.
You can certainly use classic Z-Wave lights with Alarm.com. They will enroll with your Z-Wave network without issue. The same is true for Z-Wave Plus lights that are not yet "certified". But you can only see the current status for up to ten (10) of these "uncertified" Z-Wave lighting devices. For "certified" lights, you can see the status for as many as you have added.
You can enroll additional "uncertified" devices beyond this limit, and you can even control these extra devices from Alarm.com. But you won't be able to check the current ON/OFF status of them from Alarm.com. In other words, Alarm.com won't know the current status for these lights. If you are away from the premises, you won't necessarily know whether the light is being turned ON or OFF. You will be toggling the lights blindly.
By default, light status is enabled for the first ten (10) light devices added to an account. Light status can be enabled/disabled for additional individual devices by following these steps:
- Log into the customer account via the website. This cannot be edited via the Alarm.com App.
- Go to the "lights" card, and click on the > symbol.
- Click the gear icon for the light you want to edit.
- Click the "Show Light Status" toggle switch. This option will only be available if you have more than ten (10) lights associated with the account.
- Click X to save and exit.
Below are the "certified real-time status" Z-Wave Plus lights for Alarm.com:
- Jasco Plug-in Wireless Smart Dimmer (28166, 28170) (GE 28167 also supported)
- Jasco Plug-in Smart Switch (28172, 28168) (GE 28169 also supported)
- GE/Jasco Plug-In Outdoor Smart Switch (14284/14311)
- Jasco In-Wall Wireless Smart Switch (14318) (GE 14291 also supported)
- Jasco In-Wall Smart Toggle Switch (14319, 14293) (GE 14292 also supported)
- Jasco In-Wall Smart Dimmer (14321) (GE 14294 also supported)
- Jasco In-Wall Smart Toggle Dimmer(14322, 14296) (GE 14295 also supported)
- Jasco Enbrighten Smart A19 LED Bulb (39723) (GE 35931 also supported)
- Jasco or GE/Enbrighten In-Wall Smart Paddle Switch (46562 or 46201)
- Jasco or GE/Enbrighten In-Wall Smart Toggle Switch (46563 or 46202)
- Jasco or GE/Enbrighten In-Wall Smart Paddle Dimmer (46564 or 46203)
- Jasco or GE/Enbrighten In-Wall Smart Toggle Dimmer (46565 or 46204)
- Jasco or GE/Enbrighten Plug-in Outdoor Smart Switch (14325 or 14298)
The lights listed below have been tested and will work with Alarm.com, but do not provide "real-time status" and do count against the 10-light limit:
- Leviton In-wall Switch (DZ15S)
- Leviton In-wall Dimmer (DZ6HD - 600W)
- Leviton Plug-in Outlet (DZPA1)
- Leviton Plug-in Dimmer (DZPD3)
- Jasco Enbrighten Smart LED Bulb A19 (39723)
- Jasco In-Wall Dimmer Toggle (14322, 14296)
- Jasco Dimmer Switch Toggle (14319, 14293)
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More