Can WIFI be Primary with Cellular as Backup on a 2GIG GC3?
When WIFI is in use on the 2GIG GC3, all signals are sent via both WIFI and Cellular. The signal received first by Alarm.com, is acknowledged then forwarded to the monitoring station. Subsequent duplicate signals are ignored by Alarm.com This ensures signals always use the fastest path.
By adding WIFI communication to your 2GIG GC3, you provide a dual path option for the panel's alarm communication. By always utilizing both paths the GC3 and Alarm.com, working together, ensure that all signals have the best opportunity to be delivered to the monitoring station in the least amount of time possible. A cellular communicator is required for registration to Alarm.com, so there is no option for WIFI only communication. Also, in order to support WIFI communication, the 2GIG GC3 must be on firmware version 3.1.0. If you need to update your GC3, the files required to do so can be found here.
Complete the following steps to configure the GC3 so that it uses WIFI in addition to cellular communication.
- Access the network selection screen. From the home screen, go to System Settings > enter the Master Code or Installer Code (the default master code is 1111, the default installer code is 1561) > scroll down > Network Settings > Wireless. This will bring up the network selection screen.
- Join the GC3 to a WIFI network. The system will search for nearby WIFI networks. When you select a WIFI network, you will be prompted to enter the network's password. Remember, this password is case sensitive. If entered successfully, you will be brought to the network summary screen.
- Return to the home screen. Keep pressing the back arrow in the upper right corner of the screen until you are back at the home screen.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More
- Cellular Security Systems
- AT&T Security Systems
- Cellular Alarm Communicators
- Verizon CDMA Security System Cellular Communicators
- Answered By
- Joe Gonnella