How Do I Turn off (Power Down) My Home Alarm System?
You can turn off or power down your home alarm system by disconnecting its backup battery and then unplugging the transformer for the device from the wall outlet. You can confirm that the panel has been powered down by checking its touchscreen or keypad and making sure that it is blank.
A user will often power off their security system when they go to do work on their panel. This might include installing a new communications module or adding a hardwired siren. When they want to power their system back on, they should plug the transformer back in and then reconnect the backup battery, in that order.
Complete the following steps to turn off your home alarm system:
1. Disconnect the backup battery. To avoid electrical problems, it is recommended that you disconnect the panel's backup battery before unplugging its transformer. The location of the battery will generally depend on the type of panel. For wireless systems, the backup battery can typically be found behind the panel's back cover. It will be plugged into the panel's circuit board. Simply unplug the connection to disconnect the battery.
For hardwired Honeywell Vista Systems, the battery consists of a large black box that is housed inside of the panel's beige metal cabinet. Disconnect the positive (+) and negative (-) connections to disconnect the battery.
2. Unplug the transformer. Every panel has a transformer that runs from the panel to the wall outlet. This transformer must be removed for the panel to power down. If the transformer is screwed into the outlet, the screw must be removed before the transformer can be unplugged. From there, you can gently pull the transformer out from the wall outlet.
3. Confirm the shut down. You can confirm that the panel is powered down by checking its display screen or keypad. If the display screen or keypad is blank, and it does not respond when a button or the touchscreen is pressed, then the system has successfully powered down.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More
- Wireless Alarm Control Panels
- Wired Alarm Control Panels
- Alarm Control Panels
- Honeywell Lyric
- Honeywell VISTA Series
- Honeywell LYNX Touch