How to Change the Codes on a Honeywell Alarm System?
To change the codes on a Honeywell alarm system, you will follow a certain process depending upon the system type. A panel with a numeric keypad, such as a Honeywell Vista or an L3000, will have a different process than a touchscreen system, like a Lynx Touch panel or a Lyric Controller.
Any user code, including the Master Code can be changed on a Honeywell system at any time. You can also change the Installer Code, but we do not recommend doing this, as it could potentially lock you out of programming later. However, many users change the other codes on their panel for their own convenience and to prevent intruders who may know the default Master Code from accessing their systems.
For reference the default Master Code on any Honeywell Vista P series system is 1234. The default Installer Code is 4112.
If you have any hardwired Honeywell Vista system or a Lynx Plus L3000, you will need to know the current Master Code or the Installer Code in order to change any of the codes. Enter in the following commands to change the codes on your system:
Set a new Master Code: [Master Code] +  +  + [New 4-Digit Master Code] + [New Master Code again]
If you want to change the master code and you do not currently know the master code, you can also use the installer code to set the master code.
Set a new Master Code: [Installer Code] +  +  + [New 4-Digit Master Code]
Add a new user code: [Master Code] +  + [user #] + [New user code]
Delete a user code (Vista P Series): [Master Code] +  + [user #] + [#] 
Delete a user code (L3000): [Master Code] +  + [user #] (wait a few seconds, you will hear an acknowledgement beep)
The following video shows how to change the Master Code on a Vista P series panel.
For these systems, if you lose your installer code, you must enter the system programming using the backdoor method. This is done by holding down [*] & [#] during the first minute of power-up. Then, you can change the installer code in field *20.
However, if you have a touchscreen panel, then the process you will follow will be very different. Complete the following steps to change a Master or user code on a Honeywell touchscreen system, like the Lyric Controller or a Lynx Touch:
1. Access the users menu. From the home screen of the panel, go to Security > More (if using Lynx Touch) > Tools > enter Master Code (default is 1234) > Users. You will now be in the users menu.
2. Choose a code. Click on the code you want to change to highlight it. Then select "Edit" in the bottom-left corner in the screen.
3. Change the code. Select the "User Code" field. A keypad will be displayed for you to enter in a new code. First, press the "Clear" button, then enter in the desired 4-digit code. Hit "Done" in the bottom-right corner of the screen. You will be taken back to the menu for that user. Make any other changes, such as the user's name, then hit "Save" in the bottom-right corner of the screen. You will be returned to the users menu.
4. Return to the home screen. Press the home button on the front of the panel (the picture of the house) to return to the home screen.
If you're unsure of both the Master Code, and the Installer Code on an L7000, or an L5200, you can use the backdoor method (linked on each product name) to enter programming. Once in programming, press the down arrow at the right, and press "Reset Master Code". You'll be prompted for a "Yes" or "No". Press "Yes". This will set the Master Code back to 1234, and you can then follow the steps above to change it. It's also a good idea to edit the Installer Code while you're in programming, so that you won't have to use the backdoor method in the future. We recommend setting the Installer Code back to 4112.
Did you find this answer useful?
We offer alarm monitoring as low as $10 / monthClick Here to Learn More
- Home Security Systems
- Wireless Alarm Systems
- Business Security Systems
- Apartment Security Systems
- Alarm Keypads
- Answered By
- Joshua Unseth