Burglary Statistics Down, But Still Alarming!Posted By Michael Goris
We recently checked out a post from Alarms.org highlighting crime reporting statistics from the FBI in 2015. We know this data is a bit old, but it offers some interesting insights on how crime rates are trending in the United States. Property crime is dropping, but there is still danger.
Between 2011 and 2015, property crime in the United States dropped by 14.4%. The decline has been even further since 2006, as US property crime has dropped by 25.7% between then and 2015. Burglary rates have also declined from 701 reported burglaries in 2011 to 542 reported burglaries in 2015. It's also worth noting that every recorded US region in the study (Northeast, Midwest, South, West) experienced a decline in reported burglaries.
But despite these favorable statistics, burglaries are still an unfortunate reality for thousands of people every single year. Approximately 2.5 million reported burglaries occurred in 2015. This equates to roughly one burglary every 13 seconds. Of reported burglaries in 2015, only about 13% of the cases were solved. Meanwhile, the other 87% were left unsolved, typically due to the lack of a witness or identifying evidence. Overall, property crimes in 2015 resulted in approximately $14.3 billion in damages.
As for when burglaries occur, you may be surprised to learn that they are 6% more likely to occur during the day (between 6am and 6pm) than at night. This is makes sense, as burglars tend to feel more confident in breaking into homes when nobody is present. And since most people work during the day, logically, burglaries often occur during these times. It's also not too surprising to learn that most burglaries occur in the summer when it isn't cold outside.
The best way to prevent a burglary is to own a security system. A home without a security system is about 300% more likely to be burglarized than an unmonitored home. And it shouldn't come as a surprise that 72.4% of burglaries in the United States occur when nobody is inside the home. You will certainly want an alarm system in place to keep your home monitored and protected while you are away.
If you are interested in getting a security system and monitoring service for your home, then please reach out to Alarm Grid for more information. We offer effective and affordable monitoring plans for all budgets. The easiest way to contact us is to email firstname.lastname@example.org. You should respect a timely response during our usual business hours of 9am to 8pm ET M-F. We look forward to hearing from you!