Hi DIYers! Today, we would like to talk about Lutron Smart Lights and explain why they are a great choice for establishing a smart lighting setup. These smart lights offer many nice features, including integrations with Apple HomeKit and Amazon Alexa. We think you will love these lights!
When talking about smart lights, we often point customers to Z-Wave lights first, due to their easy integrations with Alarm.com and Total Connect 2.0. But if you don't have access to ADC or TC2, then you might choose a different smart network to build around. For smart lighting, Lutron represents one of the best options available. The Lutron Caseta lineup is perfect for DIY installers, and the products offer some great features and functions.
Anyone interested in Lutron should first become familiar with the Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge. This is the central hub that makes the setup possible. All of your Lutron devices will pair with this controller. And whenever you use a smart assistant (e.g. Siri, HomeKit, Alexa, etc.) to control your Lutron Lights, the command will first pass through the smart bridge.
The Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge is very easy to set up. Just connect it to your router using the included ethernet cable. Then pair your smartphone with the bridge using the Lutron App. You will then be able to control connected Lutron devices from anywhere. One Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge can support up to 50 Lutron devices. You will have no problem decking out your home with Lutron Smart Lights!
The fun part comes once you have your smart bridge. You can then start choosing individual Lutron devices to use in your home. There are plenty of devices to choose from. We have some of our favorites listed below:
- Lutron Caseta In-Wall Neutral Smart Switch - An in-wall light switch that lets you add smart control to your existing hardwired lights. You can turn them ON and OFF from anywhere!
- Lutron Caseta Wireless In-Wall Dimmer - An in-wall dimmer that lets you add smart control to your existing hardwired lights. You can turn them ON and OFF and adjust their brightness from anywhere! Note that the light bulbs must support dimming.
- Lutron Caseta In-Wall Smart Dimmer for ELV+ - Same as above, but for use with electronic low voltage (ELV) lighting loads.
- Lutron Caseta Lamp Dimmer - Lets you provide smart control for two (2) connected lamps. Plugs into any standard wall outlet.
- Lutron Caseta Pico Remote - A handy remote that lets you control your lights on-site. You can have it loose, or mount it to the wall. There is also an audio Pico Remote for controlling an integrated Sonos Sound System!
There are also lots of kits that include bundled Lutron items. We won't list them all here, but please check out our Lutron Smart Home Page to see them! Lutron even offers a variety of decorative wallplates to go with your Lutron In-Wall Switches. Look for the Lutron Claro Wallplates for more information!
Remember, Lutron is great for pairing with a variety of different platforms including Apple HomeKit and Siri, Google Home, Amazon Alexa, Nest, and Sonos Sound. It is also excellent for Resideo Lyric System users who use the system with Apple HomeKit, as it gives the user a single robust platform for controlling the system and their lights. Just remember that the Lyric must be running firmware update MR7 or higher to do this.
If you have any questions about Lutron, please reach out to us. The best way to contact us is to email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you and answering all your questions about Lutron!