Critical Firmware Issue Affecting Certain IQ2+ UnitsPosted By Michael Goris
We have been made aware of a critical firmware issue affecting Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Plus Systems manufactured between Week 35 of 2020 (or Week 37 for some factory codes) and Week 05 of 2021. The issue causes systems to automatically reboot at times. We apologize for any resulting inconvenience.
According to Qolsys, all IQ panel 2 Plus Systems manufactured with a Date Code of G035 to G105 AND J037 to J105 are affected. This can be seen in digits 6 thru 9 of the system's Serial Number (SN) on the product box, on the back of the system, and in the Hardware portion of the About Menu in Advanced Settings.
If your system is affected, then you can download a special firmware update to correct the problem. In order to download this corrective firmware, your system must be one of the affected models (see above), and you must have the panel on Software Version 2.4.2 or higher (check the About Menu). You may also want to check out our Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Plus Firmware Update Page here if you need to update your system to 2.4.2 before running this patch.
If you meet the criteria, then you can perform the following steps to update the firmware:
1. Prepare IQ2+ System. Make sure your system meets the aforementioned criteria to receive the special update. In addition, have your system connected to WIFI. Your system should be plugged in for AC power, and it should not have a low battery.
Monitoring stations will eventually be able to push this upgrade over-the-air (OTA). If your system is in a location where WIFI is not available, the monitoring station should be able to push the update, but to do so via cellular data may incur a small fee. This will require that the panel is set up for monitoring service, including connectivity with Alarm.com.
2. Access Upgrade Software Menu. From the main system screen, swipe the small grey bar at the top, and choose Settings > Advanced Settings > enter the Installer Code (default 1111) > Upgrade Software. You are in the Upgrade Software Menu.
3. Enter Patch Tag. Find the Patch Tag field. Click on it, and enter firmware2. Make sure you enter firmware2 exactly. Press OK to confirm.
4. Apply the update. Choose "Upgrade Using Network". The update should then begin. It should take around five (5) minutes to complete, though it can take a bit longer in some cases. Do not touch the system during the update. The system should reboot once complete.
5. Verify the update. You can verify the update by repeating Step 2, except this time choose About > Software, instead of "Upgrade Software". The build number should display 0210219_sp1 to indicate a successful update.
This update should fix and/or prevent your IQ2+ System from randomly rebooting if it was part of the batch with the critical firmware issue. We hope that this helps any affected users overcome issues with the IQ2+ Systems. Make sure to stay tuned to the Alarm Grid blog for the latest news regarding Qolsys, the IQ Panel 2, and any other important security system news!