Back in February, a tragedy occurred. A man accidentally left his vehicle running in his garage. He went to bed with his dog by his side. The next morning, the man was found dead in his bed. His dog was seizing on the floor and later died. The cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless and tasteless gas that kills hundreds of people every single year. Most casualties caused by carbon monoxide occur without the individual realizing they are being affected before it is too late. The gas can render people and pets unconscious without them even realizing what is happening. If no help is provided, then it is likely that they will never wake up.
When people think of carbon monoxide deaths, they usually think of incidents that occur during the winter months when heaters are commonly used to heat buildings. But not every CO-related death is caused by a faulty heating system. Incidents like the one that occurred in February happen more often then they should. And they can be easily prevented with carbon monoxide detectors.
A CO detector will activate upon detecting unusually high levels of carbon monoxide gas. This is typically before CO concentrations reach lethal levels. At Alarm Grid, we specialize in carbon monoxide detectors that will alert a security system upon activation. Once activated, the system will immediately go into a carbon monoxide alarm. This will involve activating the system's sounder or siren so that everyone inside the building is alerted.
If you have alarm monitoring service, then action will be taken as soon as a carbon monoxide alarm is received. A central station operator is required to request emergency dispatch for any CO alarm that comes through. In addition, they attempt to contact the premises to make certain any occupants are aware that a Carbon Monoxide alarm has been triggered. Rescuers will be on the way to save anyone inside the building. With a quick response, most CO-related deaths can be prevented.
Users with self-monitoring service will receive text, email, and/or push notifications from Total Connect 2.0 or Alarm.com to let them know that a carbon monoxide alarm has occurred. This way, they will know not to enter the building and to request help from the local fire department. To learn more about alarm monitoring, check our alarm monitoring page.
It never hurts to be proactive and get your home or business prepared for a carbon monoxide outbreak. The decision may ultimately save your life and the lives of others. If you need help choosing carbon monoxide sensors, we encourage you to reach out to us. The best way to contact us is to email email@example.com with any questions you might have. You can also call us at (888) 818-7728 during our normal business hours of 9am to 8pm EST M-F. We look forward to hearing from you.